Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Straw Bale Gardening

After researching hay bale gardens on the internet, Ive decided I want to give it a try this summer. The photo above was great inspiration and had lots of directions to get started as well as tips. Im already looking for my bales so they will have time to "season" before my first plantings. (will need 2-3 weeks for this-- I also read that any bales will work except for pine.)
So far, Ive planned to plant zucchini, sweet bell peppers, spaghetti squash, banana peppers, eggplant, pineapple sage ( for the hummingbirds) & maybe a couple pumpkins. My biggest concern before starting this project is keeping the neighborhood animals out of the garden. We do live in town, but so do the raccoons (which enjoyed a smorgasboard of my tomatos last summer), possums and skunks. I cant wait, Im really looking forward to this experience and will post updated pictures as the garden progresses.
Above: photo came from this site & all the knowledge needed to get started http://strawbalegardens.com/
Also in search mode I found a wealth of personal gardening photos & hints for strawbale gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment