Sunday, October 31, 2010

Pumpkin Seeds...

These are an acquired taste... you either love them or you don't! These are one of my sons favorites snacks. Usually, I have to clean out our pumpkins, separate and clean the seeds (soak in water) and let them dry over night, but this year I found unseasoned/natural seeds at the store....hallelujah! Big time saver! Melt a half stick of margarine or so in a pan and saute' the seeds, about half way through I add brown sugar and a splash of vanilla (the seeds don't necessarily brown, but they will soak up the margarine and become a little darker). Once that is done, I let them cool for a few minutes in a bowl.While they are still warm and buttery, I toss them into a large zip lock I have ready with all the seasonings: a pinch of salt, cinnamon or cinnamon plus by pampered chef, brown sugar, and allspice. Shake it around till all the seeds are covered. Place them single layer on a foiled cookie sheet and bake at 300 degrees until they appear mostly dried. The baking time will vary according to how many seeds you have.Stir them around on the sheet here and there or they will burn. Remove from oven and let cool, then you can put them in decorated containers or just a tupperware type for home. I don't have exact measurements for the seasonings, I just eye it and go according to personal tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment