Saturday, October 20, 2012

Fall Comforts






Who doesn't enjoy some thing warm to snuggle up in during this nice cool fall weather. I refuse to turn the heat on this early in the season, so if your cold at my house grab a blanket!
This lovely quilt made in gold and accented with blue and red was handmade by my great grandma as a wedding quilt for my great aunt. My great grandmother had made one for all three of her girls when they got married, but I think this is the only one that has survived all these years. I remember my grandma (right) talking fondly about her own quilt and how much she treasured it and used it in her daily life. She was the youngest child and only twenty when she lost her mother. So, as you can imagine, this holds a special place in my heart.




Ok , this afghan was knit by my mom. The colors appear to be as bright as the flames of heck in these photos, but that is not the case, just my bad photography. Its made in warm colors of brown, red and a shade lighter than orange. I always take it out of storage in the fall to add the colors of the outdoors to the inside of my house. As you can probably tell from my more recent posts, fall is my one of my favorite seasons.
I have to admit that I did not always like this color scheme. I remember when these colors became a decorating fashion. My mom loved it and decorated our whole spare room (sewing room/sitting room) in oranges and brown plaid, and that included the furniture. Yuck!!!  Even though it might have been fashionable at the time it was not one of my favorite trends and being young my opinion didn't count. At least we skipped the shag carpet, to bad I cant say the same for the hip huggers. Needless to say, the house has been updated to modern times and that rooms decor long gone. Even though I hated these colors as plaid room decor I do love the afghan=)

No comments:

Post a Comment